Plate washing is an important role in any food service establishment like restaurants, cafeterias, catering companies etc. If you are looking for entry-level jobs in Canada, plate washing can be a great place to start your career in the fast-paced food industry. In this article, we will explore some key details about plate washing jobs – the roles and responsibilities, job requirements, pay rates as well as how and where to apply.
Plate Washing Job Description
The main responsibility of a plate washer is cleaning dirty dishes, cutlery, glassware and kitchenware in a commercial dish pit. This includes:
- Scrapping and rinsing plates, bowls, pans, trays before loading them into the dishwasher
- Operating the dishwasher to clean and sanitize dishes
- Unloading clean dishes and ensuring they are dry, spotless and hygienic
- Maintaining the cleanliness and organization of the dish washing area
- Taking out garbage bins and ensuring tidy workflows
- Following health, safety and hygiene protocols
Plate washers often work long shifts on their feet but it’s a great entry point for hospitality careers. Effective multitasking and ability to work efficiently under pressure are important skills.
The basic requirements to apply for plate washing jobs in Canada include:
- Be at least 16 years old
- High school diploma or GED is preferred but not always mandatory
- Strong physical stamina to stand for long hours
- Ability to work shifts including nights, weekends and holidays
- Clean criminal record check
- Food safety certification is a plus
No prior experience is necessary as on-job training will be provided. Employers focus more on reliable individuals with strong work ethics. Fluency in English/French is important for metropolitan areas.
Salary and Benefits
The average hourly pay rate for entry-level plate washers in Canada ranges from $14-$16 per hour. However, some large chains may pay up to $17/hour based on experience and location. Overtime pay, tip outs and meal discounts are common benefits. Paid vacation days, dental/health plans may be available at corporate restaurants after a minimum tenure.
Here are some top chain restaurants and catering companies frequently hiring plate washing staff across Canada:
- Tim Hortons
- Boston Pizza
- Swiss Chalet
- Marriott Hotels
- Bon Appetit Management Co
- Elior North America
- Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services
Applying directly through their staff hiring portals enhances your chances of getting interviewed quickly. You can also check local listings on popular job sites.
How to Apply
To apply for plate washing opportunities, follow these steps:
- Browse job listings at company careers pages or general job boards
- Email/call restaurants directly with your resume to check for openings
- Send in your application addressing all qualifications and experience
- Follow up after a week in case of no response
- Attend interviews dressed professionally showcasing your customer skills
- Get hired on the spot sometimes if an immediate need exists!
With many food service businesses regularly recruiting for plate washers across Canada, it’s an accessible way to kickstart your career in hospitality. Reliability and strong work ethics will help you advance to other roles like serving and bartending over time. I hope this article gave you valuable inputs to start your job search. Let me know if any other questions!